When a Lesson Goes Wrong......Idioms

Today was our second day back. Its been wonderful but I'm EXHAUSTED!!!

This week I had a great terrible idea... Introduce idioms to my students............... AWFUL! 
Lets admit it... not all lessons go as we plan. And well... this was one of those. 
I had everything planned out and ready to go... We were going to read one of my favorites: Parts by Tedd Arnold. We were even going to read More Parts on Friday. 

Everything was ready, books, anchor chart, even the copies of this perfect Idioms worksheet from Ginger Snaps I found on Pinterest.


                                      (Find it HERE)

I started my lesson talking about some idioms that we use in Spanish (I teach a bilingual class). We sat on the carpet and I started reading. Let me tell you, there's nothing worse than expecting tons of giggles from students and getting nothing but... crickets


It was obvious... my students (most of them ELLs) were not understanding a single thing about Idioms. I was so disappointed and frustrated at the end of the day! I decided to take a step a back and forget about my Amelia Bedelia unit for next week. I can only imagine how that would go! haha 

Today was a brand new day and I gave it another try. This time we started simple with a pocket chart that I bought on amazon a couple of years ago... I completely forgot I had it!!! 

We will work with one of these every week. 



Hopefully we will be able to revisit Mr. Tedd Arnold's books and Amelia Bedelia next month. 

In the mean time... I will be talking about idioms all day every day!!
Go slower next time... lesson learned... 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top